Nowadays, we have added a new dimension to our lives and created a new order. We call this new world order the digital world. We are in a state of moving into this world, consciously or not, and now the situation has reached a point where we can live even our own social life in the virtual worlds formed by the digital world. We do our shopping here, we handle our banking transactions from here, we read books, listen to music, we communicate here, we share our ideas and opinions from here, we can meet new people. So how much do we know about this world? How much can we adapt to this world where we are still moving and this transportation process will be continuous with new technologies and how much can we benefit from its advantages? Let's proceed by examining all these questions from the basic point.
We reach raw results by measuring, experiment, observation, counting or many other research methods for the qualitative and quantitative properties of objects and events in order to understand and make sense of everything around us. These results, which are found in raw form and do not make any sense on their own, are called data. We call the gathering and organization of data by processing, information, the outputs of information created by bringing together ideas, experience, interpretation and synthesis as information. Although the concept of power has changed many times over the years, today power; It takes its source from knowledge, science, technology, and the ability to produce and use them. In today's world where information is so vital, it is of great importance that the data, which we can call the basic building block of information, can be recorded, stored, stored and processed. We call these pieces of information digitized by making them suitable for electronic systems. This environment, where information can be used and processed efficiently, provides many advantages and convenience in our daily and business life. These advantages and facilities have carried the competition to a very advanced level in the business world. In order not to stay behind this competition, we must be able to adapt them to our business processes, and adapt to this digital world where information can be used in the most efficient way in order to respond appropriately to human needs that change over time. We call this inclusion process digital transformation.
Digital transformation is the ability of service institutions and organizations to organize their human and business processes with digital tools and renewed technologies in order to respond efficiently to rapidly changing social needs. Thanks to this transformation, consumers have the opportunity to find the products and services they are looking for, with thousands of options from every field through digital platforms. Thanks to the convenience brought by digitalization, the opportunities and conditions to reach consumers and provide quality service have increased. This increase stimulated the competitive market and eliminated those who could not participate in this process. Businesses that want to survive should turn to solution methods such as e-commerce, online marketing, digital CRM (Customer Relationship Management) in the field of marketing and sales, participate in this transformation in every department such as accounting, finance, human resources, procurement and IT department, and should be able to develop.
When we examine the basic index criteria on which digital transformation is scaled at the international level; In the field of economics, options such as industry 4.0 applications, e-commerce systems and how much internet technology is used, opportunities in the field of e-government, e-health, e-democracy, digital literacy rates of individuals, online education opportunities are examined. This situation offers us clues about which areas to focus on in order to increase success in the field of digital transformation.
Institutions should turn to the needs at the point of transformation, and although it is necessary to follow the trends in technology, they should create result-oriented studies and working environments rather than trend-oriented. A healthy transformation is achieved with the increase of innovation ability by using resources efficiently according to the evaluations made by considering the priorities, complexity and cost conditions by conducting needs analysis, not to own and store each new technology.
Digital transformation is a comprehensive process that includes many disciplines that need to be handled with a holistic perspective. In this process, companies should be restructured in general and company strategies should be redesigned within this framework. While applying the process;
- First of all, necessary information about the current situation is extracted. Analysis of the current situation is made according to the information obtained.
- Strategies are created according to company goals and digital methods suitable for these are determined.
- Units that can implement the determined strategies and methods, direct and manage the transformation project are formed. In this context, if the necessary staff is not available within the company, cooperation should be made with universities, startup companies and expert teams on this issue.
- Within the framework of the strategies determined by the professional teams formed, the process should be implemented in a way to spread this process not only to the departments where systemic works are carried out, but to the whole company.
Institutions that have successfully achieved digital transformation and do not hinder their sustainability;
- Communication problems between departments are eliminated and the units can continue to work efficiently without wasting time by concentrating on the issues that they need to deal with.
- As technology is closely monitored and integrated into working processes, the organization increases its order and efficiency.
- By eliminating unnecessary workloads such as paper, printing and archiving, storage costs are avoided.
- Thanks to robots and artificial intelligence included in the work activities, error rates are reduced, control and inspection processes are accelerated, saving time and energy.
After all these examinations, we can easily understand the necessity and inevitability of transformation. As the conditions and current situations change, it is not possible to adapt to them and to respond to the innovations of the day and the future with old usage methods, so we should look for ways to adapt to the transformation in a healthy way by fulfilling the requirements of the digital age.